Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Them is Fightin' Words

When I was a little girl my older brother would pick on me, trying to upset me with his misguided opinions. I remember one particular occasion when I was about eight years old. Once again, my brother was teasing me. I consulted with my daddy, sobbing about how my brother wouldn't leave me alone. My dad consoled me, then he asked me to come back in a few minutes, and he'd have a solution for me.

My father got out the dictionary and scripted a response. He instructed me to memorize the response so that I'd be prepared to fight with my words.

The next time my brother picked on me, I calmly and quietly articulated the following: "Rob, you are a pragmatic prevaricator with a propensity for oratorical sonorities that are too pleonastic to be expediently assimilated." When my brother, a dumb look on his face, quickly asked, "What does that mean?" I simply responded "You're a liar." He had nothing witty to say. He knew it was true, and he quickly left the room... It worked!

My scripted response was pleonastic itself, but my 10-year old brother was left speechless, and that moment was priceless. I'll never forget that day, that response, or my father's wisdom in fighting with words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Unless your name is Leslie Brodie, (my babysitter in 1969) you did NOT make up the phrase ''Pragmatic pevaricator etc.'' Leslie taught me that phrase back in 1969, and I assume that she learned it from a teacher in her high-school. So this was already a phrase making the rounds at least back to 1969. Nice try though.